Financial Post | | Jun 15, 2022
Vancouver-based WonderFi Technologies Inc. will soon become the first Canadian-regulated cryptocurrency marketplace and registered trading platform to list its shares on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
WonderFi, which owns Bitbuy Technologies Inc. and is backed by Shark Tank star Kevin O’Leary, will list with the ticker TSX:WNDR on June 22.
- Seeing more investors demand diversification and options to invest within cryptocurrency assets.
- “Most of the banks are under tremendous pressure from their own constituencies that have accounts with them to give them exposure (to cryptocurrency). So, we’re making sure that we keep our platform open, ready for business to engage with any banking platform that wants to work with us, and I think being part of the TSX, where you find a lot of other financial services listed, is a very important thing.”
- WonderFi hopes to capture a “new breed of retail and institutional investor.
- Bitbuy’s data noted that cryptocurrency investors are getting older. In 2022, the median age of new cryptocurrency investors was 39, five years older than in 2018. Bitbuy added there had been a three-year boost in the median age over the past 12 months or so.
- Assuming the trend continues, the exchange expects the median age could soon be in the mid-40s.
- O’Leary also noted that older investors tend to have more capital to put to work.
- It’s nascent, it’s early. There’s a lot of unregulated over levered positions, and this, too, will eventually pass. They will blow up.”
The National Crowdfunding & Fintech Association (NCFA Canada) is a financial innovation ecosystem that provides education, market intelligence, industry stewardship, networking and funding opportunities and services to thousands of community members and works closely with industry, government, partners and affiliates to create a vibrant and innovative fintech and funding industry in Canada. Decentralized and distributed, NCFA is engaged with global stakeholders and helps incubate projects and investment in fintech, alternative finance, crowdfunding, peer-to-peer finance, payments, digital assets and tokens, blockchain, cryptocurrency, regtech, and insurtech sectors. Join Canada’s Fintech & Funding Community today FREE! Or become a contributing member and get perks. For more information, please visit: www.ncfacanada.org